Helenarama
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Facebook Monitoring

5 posters

Go down

Facebook Monitoring Empty Facebook Monitoring

Post  trykindnessitworks Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:37 pm

Does anyone monitor their child's FB? You will learn a lot about your child's friends and claassmates. Check out the pics chosen to post and look at the sexual poses made by the should be way too young to know that pose. Check out the sexual applications some have chosen to proudly post on their fb page. Absolutely heartbreaking! Find the one that is a member of a church page and explicit sexual app at the same time. Yup, we are doing such a great job at parenting! We've come so far in 2010! I guess as long as we ignore it, it's not happening right here in a community with an abundance of churches. Are churches just a place for social networking today? Food for thought! I know I will get replies about judging and not keeping a positive mind but folks this is reality even if it's not pretty! I would rather deal with it than get the call from jail, hospital or morgue like so many have. I love these young people, but I can only have so much influence! Please help me as I am only one person! I love you

trykindnessitworks

Back to top Go down

Facebook Monitoring Empty Re: Facebook Monitoring

Post  lizzybee Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:52 pm

My child is not old enough for such social sites (although lots of her friends are on it). When she gets older and I allow it, then yes, I'll monitoring it, as I monitor everything. I'm her parent! As far as what you posted about churches, I understand how you can feel that they are "just" social networking sites. Some people may see them as that, but to me, it is where you go to be "social" with people that share your love of Christ and the desire to reach out beyond the walls of the church and SHOW the love of God to *everyone*.

lizzybee

Back to top Go down

Post  Flanders Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:50 pm

what age kids are we talking about?

I wouldn't take much from it, it is how kids are nowadays. Times change, when your kids are in your shoes now they will be saying the same things about their own kids.

There are misunderstandings between generations. For example, parents may not understand why certain clothing styles or hairstyles are in style or out among their teenage kids, and adolescents may feel that their parents do not understand what is important to them. Kids and their parents are at different stages in their lives. Kids are trying to prove their "popularity" or self-worth in school with their friends and establish their sexual identity. Adults on the other hand have more important concerns than looking cool.

So basically kids and their parents have different viewpoints because they came of age at different points in history. These social networking sites are how kids communicate in today's world. If you're going to read and stalk your kids on facebook and myspace at least don't bring it to their attention.
Flanders
Flanders

Back to top Go down

Post  oldHelena Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:06 am

First of all let me say that my kids are grown and thank goodness I didn't have this type of problem. However, I also feel that it would have been a good tool for the parent to know what was happening in their child's life. You call it stalking and some might call it spying but I strongly feel as a parent you need to know what is happening in your child's life especially while they are middle school age. Technology has changed the way children interact with their peers and their parents and as a parent, I feel we can take advantage of this new technology like Facebook and Twitter etc, to have an understanding what is going on in our childrens lives. I do agree that if you are going to monitor your childrens social networking sites, for sure don't mention it and for goodness sake do not post anything on there. This is just my opinion and like I said, my kids are grown but we read their Facebook accounts every day.
oldHelena
oldHelena

Back to top Go down

Post  lizzybee Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:37 pm

This is slightly off-topic of the original post, but YES, I will "spy"--meaning that I will know every password to everything they are on. And YES, my kids will know that their mother cares enough to check out what they're doing and with whom. While my oldest one has several friends on FB, she's way too young (in my opinion) to be on it, and so she's not, but when I say it's okay for her to sign-on & be part of a social networking, then I will be very aware of what she's doing online, and who she's talking to online.

lizzybee

Back to top Go down

Post  Flanders Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:37 am

I find that as little to over protective personally, but to each their own... I guess
Flanders
Flanders

Back to top Go down

Post  BearLeader67 Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:53 pm

Flanders wrote:I find that as little to over protective personally, but to each their own... I guess

Yes, to each their own. While you are bailing yours out of jail I will be watching mine go to college. But hey, to each their own.

BearLeader67

Back to top Go down

Post  Flanders Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:36 pm

BearLeader67 wrote:
Flanders wrote:I find that as little to over protective personally, but to each their own... I guess

Yes, to each their own. While you are bailing yours out of jail I will be watching mine go to college. But hey, to each their own.

So let me get this straight, you are assuming that because I won't "spy" on my children that they will be in the slums of society and become convicted criminals? Am I wrong to assume that you are a cub scout leader? I'm just wondering and taking a stab into the dark judging by your screen name.

And if you are a boy scout or cub scout leader, I want you to know you're doing a swell job teaching kids your views. Cause I mean you have to spy on your child to keep them out of jail. That is one of the most ignorant things I've read.
Flanders
Flanders

Back to top Go down

Post  BearLeader67 Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:48 pm

Well go back and read some of the stuff you have written and I am sure that what I wrote will not longer be the most ignorant thing you have ever read. Do you even have kids or are you just on here to stir up trouble and be the clueless one on the site? Every site has one so I am assuming you are it. You are also apparently very ignorant of how Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts work. There is constant supervision. It is called mentoring and teaching. Kids don't know right and wrong unless they are taught right and wrong. They aren't going to be able to be told they are doing something wrong if there isn't anyone to catch them doing wrong. So what I would suggest is that you actually do some reading and studying about kids and Scouts before you call something ignorant and just prove that you are.

BearLeader67

Back to top Go down

Post  Flanders Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:07 pm

This was my original post...

There are misunderstandings between generations. For example, parents may not understand why certain clothing styles or hairstyles are in style or out among their teenage kids, and adolescents may feel that their parents do not understand what is important to them. Kids and their parents are at different stages in their lives. Kids are trying to prove their "popularity" or self-worth in school with their friends and establish their sexual identity. Adults on the other hand have more important concerns than looking cool.

So basically kids and their parents have different viewpoints because they came of age at different points in history. These social networking sites are how kids communicate in today's world. If you're going to read and stalk your kids on facebook and myspace at least don't bring it to their attention.

What exactly is so ignorant about this post? I never said you cannot monitor your kids activity on the internet but said not to bring it to their attention unless their is some wrongdoing. I gave my opinion that you shouldn't have to stalk your kids but be able to trust them that they will do right. When they do wrong, well they are punished, as they should be.

You are the one who jumped on my case with your post about my kids having to get bailed out of jail if I don't stalk them. And by the way, I was an eagle scout and always will be.
Flanders
Flanders

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum